Tuesday, May 23, 2017

May 24th

Greetings,

Why did we show the film “Patterns of Evidence” about the Exodus last week? What did you glean from watching it?

Of course there is the obvious. Facts and findings from archeology and Egyptology that support or refute history. That is the narrative. But what I find utterly fascinating is how experts in these fields, knowledgable about the same facts could dismiss the striking evidence and remain spiritually blind to what we believe is truth. The truth of the Bible and the Biblical account?

How does that happen? I had hoped we might discuss that this week at home group if there was time around dinner. But we’ve taken a different dinner tact, and are meeting with another life group, The Small’s, at the home of Bobbi Cardew, Wednesday night, 6:30 pm, 1923 Hendricks. See you there! (Please RSVP to Patty if you haven’t already so they will know how many to prepare for dinner. )

In closing I’ll share some thoughts and quotes that are apropos to the questions I started out with about the film. You can mull them over yourself and perhaps discuss them among yourselves. How do people come to faith? Come to be Jesus’ sheep?

I noted Jesus’ discussion of those who know Him and those who don’t?  John 10:25-30. “…you don’t know Who I Am, because you are not My sheep.” “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them… and give them eternal life.”

And I noted these interesting quotes for you to ponder….

“It matters little what we think of the Lord; it matters for eternity what God thinks of us.”
C.S. Lewis
“There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, ‘Thy will be done,’ and those to whom God says, in the end, ‘Thy will be done.’”
C.S. Lewis
“People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.” Blaise Pascal


“For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8–9)


“The essence of idolatry is the entertainment of thoughts about God that are unworthy of Him.” A.W. Tozer


Godspeed…



1 comment: